Friday, August 6, 2010

Wine Weekend

Between summer school and the kids, Scott and I didn't get much of a "break", so we decided we needed a weekend getaway.  What better place to go than Fredericksburg and the wineries of the Texas Hill Country?!  We stayed in the cutest little house just outside Stonewall near Becker Vineyard.  It was AMAZING...and surprisingly no more expensive than a regular hotel room.  I HIGHLY recommend it if you're planning a trip to the Hill Country!

The beautiful jet tub to welcome the sunrise.

So, we decided to hit every winery on the official "Wine Road 290."  At each winery, we either split a tasting, or if there were several wines we wanted to try, we each got our own...making sure to get different wines, and splitting those too.  We calculated that together we tried almost 100 wines (combining the wines tasted on both Saturday and Sunday)!
Below are my thoughts of the wineries we visited Saturday:
Texas Hills Winery:  Great wine, casual tasting setting, best deal for your $
Pedernales Cellars:  Interesting flavors are brought out, making their wine fantastic!  I really wish it was sold in stores....at least it's not too far away for another trip!
Woodrose Winery:  The tasting was in a dance hall with the most beautiful wood floor...think it would be really fun to make a trip there when the dance hall is up and running.  Very good wine.
Becker Vineyard: What a disappointment!  All of my friends talked up this vineyard, but it was extremely impersonal, the wine was good, but not great... and they charge more per bottle at the vineyard than I pay for it at HEB!
Torre de Pietra:  One of my two favorites.  Loved everything I tried.  Deciding which bottle to buy was the worst part of this vineyard!  I would go back in a heartbeat.
Grape Creek Vineyard:  The other favorite.  If I were to join any of the vineyards' wine clubs, it would be this one.  I didn't try anything that I didn't like...and would love to have any of them delivered to my door!  
Fredericksburg Winery:  Not the best way to end a day of tasting.  Their wines were mediocre at best.


Touring the wineries...what number was this?!

We were also able to meet up with Paul and Tiffany, in part of her "uncelebration" of her birthday.  We met them for dinner on Saturday night, and then spent the day with them on Sunday.  We visited the last winery on Wine Road 290, Rancho Ponte, and then headed into Sisterdale to visit Sister Creek.  Both had some extremely yummy wine, but didn't quite make my favorites list.  Afterwards, we headed to Luckenbach, and ate the most delicious fried food while listening to a local band.  Luckenbach is seriously in the middle of nowhere, and there's absolutely nothing to it, but yet I absolutely loved being there!

Everyone is someone in Luckenbach...even us!

We stopped at Flat Creek Winery in Marble Falls on our way home Sunday afternoon...I would really like to go back there again and visit the grounds when we're not hot, exhausted, and ready to get home.
So, as it says on the sign Scott almost bought me, "Dinner is poured!"

No comments:

Post a Comment