Thursday, January 6, 2011

G Free: is it for me?

So, my friend Randi decided to go gluten-free. (You can read about her adventures here)  As any language-arts-teaching, book-loving, nerd would do when making a life decision like that, she bought several books on the topic.  As many of you know, my stepdaughter Kennedy, is also gluten-free, diagnosed with Celiac's disease right before our wedding.  I have often made two separate meals when the kids are with us...one "normal" and one for her, and have just recently started toying with the idea of going completely gluten-free when they are with us, or maybe even going completely gluten-free.  As any two friends who share a passion do,we've shared: ideas, recipes, and finally...books!  She recently finished reading The G Free Diet: A Gluten Free Survival Guide by Elisabeth Hasselbeck (Survivor and The View) and has passed it on to me.  Since not all of you reading this are nerds like us, I decided to post the Cliff's Notes version of what I've learned, just in case you were curious. :-)

 
Celiac's Disease:
  • It is genetic.
  • It is NOT an allergy - it is a condition that causes a toxic reaction to gluten.
  • It can cause things such as type 1 diabetes, thyroid disease, rheumatoid arthritis, osteoporosis, infertility, and miscarriage, even if you don't know you have the disease!
  • Symptoms can go unnoticed for many years, and are not developed until some sort of physical or emotional trauma activates the condition.
Gluten:
  • A protein found in wheat, barley, and rye that is the sticky, binding substance that holds things such as bread together.
  • An all-purpose stabilizer and thickener that can be found in a wide variety of products.
  • Hidden sources: beer, flavored coffee, gravy, beauty products, envelope adhesive, play-doh
  • "Wheat-free" does not mean "gluten-free"
Going Gluten-Free:
  • Replace, don't remove: Substitute gluten with alternatives, don't just eliminate breads and/or carbs.
  • Check out websites such as http://www.glutenfreegirl.com/.
  • Naturally gluten-free foods: fruits, veggies, meats, nuts, dairy products, vanilla, spices, popcorn, chocolate, butter, oils, vinegar, sweeteners
  • Replace gluten with things such as corn (cornmeal, corn flower, cornstarch), rice, and tapioca (Elisabeth's list is MUCH longer, but these are the most common household items, and what we use at our house)
  • Gluten-free foods take longer to cook.
  • Take your own snacks to parties: either a "party pack" large enough for everyone to share, or a snack slipped into your pocket to be eaten discreetly.
  • If eating at a restaurant, be polite, be specific when you order, and always leave a generous tip.  Look online for a gluten-free menu before leaving the house, or don't hesitate to ask about the gluten-free options.
  • Because a gluten-free diet often introduces more grains into your eating habits, you receive more nutrients.
Gluten-Free Recommendations (taste tested in our kitchen):
  • Chex and Pebbles cereals
  • Ian's Fish Sticks and Chicken Nuggets
  • Van's Waffles and French Toast Sticks
  • Glutino Pretzel Sticks
  • Ener G Foods Light Tapioca Bread
  • Betty Crocker Chocolate Chip Cookie Mix
  • Bisquick Pancake Mix
  • Annie's Cheddar Mac and Cheese
  • De Boles Rice Pasta
  • S'Better Farms Corn Dogs
  • K-Toos Cookies (Gluten-free Oreos)
Gluten-Free Recoomendations (from Elisabeth):
  • Spaghetti squash
  • Pamela's Cookies
  • Pirate's Booty (especially the cheese puffs)
  • Kettle Chips
  • Bob's Red Mill
  • Mary's Gone Crackers
  • Babycakes NYC (I saw them on the Food Network...wonder if they deliver to Texas...)
HEB actually has a pretty decent gluten-free stock...otherwise I head to Sprouts or Whole Foods.  You can also go to http://www.glutenfreegrocer.com/.  When I find something that Kennedy really likes, I check Amazon...often I can buy in bulk for MUCH cheaper.

Favorite Quotes:
  • "Tomorrow is the best remedy for a terrible today."
  • "Living without gluten does NOT mean giving up your passion for food."
  • "Often, people are more open-minded about new foods AFTER they've tasted them.  So surprise your family members - and don't hesitate to be sneaky!"
  • "Don't eat a bite just to be polite!"
I really enjoyed reading that book, and if you have decided to look into the gluten-free lifestyle, I would highly recommend it.  Am I going to force my whole family to go gluten-free? No.  I will still keep the gluten/gluten-free "option" available when it is easy and convenient.  If having that option would make me feel like a "made-to-order" cook, then yes, that meal will probably end up completely gluten-free.  As for myself, I think I might just give it a try.  I don't know if Kennedy feels singled out because of her Celiac's...she doesn't seem to be bothered by it, but we also don't really talk about it much.  But, whether or not she does, it's always nice to have someone who's in the same boat as you are.  Besides, if it really will give me more energy, better my attention span, and potentally get rid of my headaches and prevent illnesses, why not?

3 comments:

  1. G-Free is for me!!! <3 the post and so gald you liked the book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've toyed with the idea of G-Free. I guess I shouldn't make that change just yet. I think I'm going to freak out the family with the changes I am making. Maybe this will be next. Great post. Love the detail! And now I know where to go if I do decide to try that route later. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're going to be making changes in some of our eating habits soon! Alex was diagnosed with ADHD last year and we aren't comfortable putting him on medication. I am about to start reading this book: http://www.amazon.com/Disconnected-Kids-Groundbreaking-Neurological-Disorders/dp/0399535608/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1294545992&sr=8-1 I know someone who has read it and gone gluten free with her kid and it has worked wonders!

    ReplyDelete