Thursday, July 9, 2009

"I now pronounce you husband and wife..."

I was one of those little girls.  You know, the ones who started planning their wedding at a VERY young age.  I've watched "A Wedding Story" and "Whose Wedding is it Anyway?" for as long as I can remember.  I've owned every copy of Martha Stewart Weddings that has been published since 1998.  So, when it came to planning my wedding...I was ready!  I knew EXACTLY what I wanted!  (Or so I thought!)  It's funny how the white lace gown I'd imagined wearing for ten years morphed into a pink champagne gown with colored beadwork... Or the seven bridesmaids in unique black cocktail dresses became three in matching celadon... Or the night wedding with champagne and cocktails became an afternoon wedding with an after-party on 6th street...  But, in the end, it really was EXACTLY what I wanted.
And I spent hours meticulously planning flowers, linens, appetizers, cake, and everything else that goes into a wedding, and really wish I had listened to my friends and family when they told me not to stress....  Because, honestly, I can't tell you what the flowers looked like, I had no food, I got the one bite of cake Scott fed me, and everything else about the day was a blur.  But, even though I don't remember what I spent hours planning, I remember what mattered.  The look on Scott's face when my dad walked me down the aisle, the comments and compliments about how beautiful everything was and how special the family vows were, the tears as the last song was played and everyone realized it was my voice over the speaker, the first time I used the words "wife" and "husband".... It's the little moments that matter in the grand scheme of things and my wedding was no different.  My father-in-law made a toast at the morning-after brunch about how things went off without a hitch...and although there were many hitches, I'm glad he didn't know about them, so that the day could be everything I could want it to be:perfect!


The morning-after brunch: my mom and dad, their best friend Mark, Scott, and me
The Newlyweds
The After-Party at Pete's Piano Bar: Brady and his date with Scott and me
Bride + Groom + Bridesmaids - Maid of Honor + Hubby of BM = Fun Wedding Party
The First Dance:  "You Had Me From Hello" morphed into "T-R-O-U-B-L-E"
My BEAUTIFUL Stepdaughters: Kaitlin, Maid of Honor, and Kennedy, Flower Girl
Rehearsal Dinner at Pappasito's
Proud Parents of the Bride

1 comment:

  1. I had no idea you had a blog, so when I saw it, I had to come read the first entry. And yes, to all the world, the day came off without a hitch. Since you don't remember it, you don't remember any hitches, either, do you? Love ya!

    ReplyDelete